Wind Point Light
The Wind Point Lighthouse is one of the oldest and tallest still operating on Lake Michigan.
The Lighthouse was built in 1880 and was lit for the first time on November 15, 1880.The fog signals could be heard 10 miles out.
The Fresnel Lens created the flashing light using dozens of glass prisms which made for an extremely powerful light. The original lens can be viewed in the old Keepers Quarters.Weights, cables and pulleys rotated the Fresnel Lens to create the flashing light.
The keeper or his Assistants had to carry fuel up the 144 steps daily. About 270 gallons were used in 1881.