Split Rock Lighthouse is built on a 130-foot sheer cliff.
The octagonal building is a steel-framed brick structure. At the time of its construction, there were no roads to the area so all building materials and supplies where delivered by water and lifted to the top of the cliff by crane. The light was first lit on July 31, 1910.
An elaborate mechanism that is powered by weights running down the center of the lighthouse rotates the lens which was lit with an incandescent oil vapor lamp that burned kerosene and in 1940 that original lamp was replaced with a 1000 watt electric bulb.
The lighthouse soon became a tourist attraction and in 1924 Highway 61 was built to allow land access.The lighthouse was retired in 1969 but every November 10 the lighthouse is powered up memory of the Edmund Fitzgerald which sank on November 10 1975.
split rockautumngrand portage